Join my online community

Friday, 6 February 2009

Adopting a Winning Mind Set

Over the past thirty years or so, since I first started studying "Mind Power" and "Personal Empowerment", I've noticed that what creates a "shift" in the quality of my life is not learning something new. It is in looking at things from a new perspective.

What I've experienced is that to discover a new perspective or a new attitude is more important than learning a new bit of information. I think this is because when you change your perspective, EVERYTHING CHANGES. All the learning you've had in the past suddenly means something different, because you've now changed your mind set. The world looks different because you now have a new standpoint from which you are viewing everything.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Over the years, I've taken countless seminars and workshops and read countless books. When I first started reading books on personal growth, I'd ask myself, "Is THIS book for $20 as good as THAT book, for $20?" I would compare books and try to get the best value for my money. I didn't want to buy something that was worth less than some other thing.

Later on, I realized that after I'd read a book, I could barely remember anything that was in it. If I could remember anything at all, I'd ask myself, "Did I learn something that improved my life? and "Was the improvement worth $20?" If the answer was "yes" on both counts, I'd consider the book to be a good investment and I would feel good about it.

If not, I'd consider it a bad investment and feel bad about it. My book deciding behaviour came down to trying to buy books would make me feel good and avoid those which would make me feel bad.

When I first began attending workshops, I had the same sort of attitude. I would think about the price of the workshop and I'd ask myself, "Is THIS workshop really worth $400?" Or, should I take THAT workshop? Which one is the best value?

This attitude often left me feeling ripped off, because many of the books I'd read and many of the workshops I'd attended were mediocre, at best. Not much of the information was really new. I found myself making buying decisions based on trying to avoid feeling bad.

As I became more self-aware, I examined this mind set and realized that I was setting myself up as a VICTIM. I was leaving it up to the BOOK or the WORKSHOP to change my life and make me feel better. If it didn't, I'd feel cheated or ripped off.

I began to look for a mind set that would guarantee that I would feel good with every purchase.

Eventually I got wise. I found a new way to look at the entire process. Instead of asking myself, "Is this book worth twenty bucks?" or "Is this workshop worth four hundred dollars?" I started to ask myself, "Can I find something in this book that would be worth twenty dollars to me?" and "Can I find something in this workshop that would be worth four hundred dollars to me."

This attitude changed everything. Suddenly I was in charge of how I was feeling. I realized that it wasn't the responsibility of the book or the workshop to change my life. That was MY JOB. It was my life, and it was my responsibility to figure out some way to improve it, USING THE BOOK or USING THE WORKSHOP as a tool.

I began to read books looking for "twenty dollar" ideas and attending workshops looking for "four hundred dollar" ideas. I always found them. I discovered that as soon as I took responsibility for generating the value of the book or course in my own life, I was able to do it every time.

I could attend a four hundred dollar training and because I was looking for something that I COULD USE to improve my life, and I found it.

I had stopped being a victim and started being a co-creator of my life USING THE IDEAS OF THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK OR OF THE WORKSHOP LEADER.

This was a huge shift for me.

My attitude shifted from "Which book is worth the most?" to "How much can I improve my life using THIS book?"

And, "What idea or techniqe can I learn in THIS workshop that will improve my life four hundred dollars worth?" What I found was that I ALWAYS learned something I could use that improved my life. So the books and workshops were all worth the investment.

I suggest you try this attitude when you are making a decision about what to buy that you are hoping will improve the quality of your life. You might find it puts YOU in the driver's seat in your life.

To your success,

Anthony Hamilton
Author of "Mind Time and Power!"
www.anthonyhamilton.org

No comments: