Join my online community

Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Personal Transformation


Personal Transformation - Living the Life of Your Dreams


As a young man I was fascinated by people of power.

I loved reading tales of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I was especially intrigued by the magical power of Merlin the Magician.

He had extraordinary insight and wisdom and possessed the power to do things that were impossible for the average person. He could heal the sick, predict the future, make things appear or disappear, understand the inner workings of the world and unravel the secrets of the universe. This kind of "secret" power was very appealing to me.

In the middle ages, European alchemists searched for the secret for transforming lead into gold. Like them, I too was captivated by the idea of being able to transform an ordinary substance into something of great value and power.

In high school I realized that the founders of modern science - Copernicus, Kepler, Gallileo, Newton - began their careers as alchemists. They became scientists as they learned to explain their discoveries with new laws of physics and chemistry instead of magic formulas and superstitions.

The most famous of these early scientists was Isaac Newton, a brilliant 17th century thinker who formulated laws of gravity and motion. His work, of the work of his contemporaries, actually created science from the fires of the alchemists' cauldrons. These early alchemist-scientists bridged the gap between the magicians of old and the giants of the modern scientific age - Rutherford, Edison, Marconi and Bell.

Yet the modern scientists of today have something in common with the ancient magicians and alchemists - they can see the connection between the world of the mind and the world of matter. They have discovered that the transformation of the world is always preceded by the transformation of an idea.

The most famous of these modern scientists, Albert Einstein, transformed Newton's ideas of time and space, coining the phrase space-time continuum to explain that the laws of space and the laws of time are mirror images of each other.

Since one characteristic of the human mind is its connection to both the past and the future, I wondered if Einstein's ideas of time might also be applied to the mind, meaning that a psychology based on the work of Einstein could replace a psychology based on the work of Newton.

If so, this would bring into play the power of the future as a creative force.

This seemingly bizarre idea made intuitive sense to me.

"After all" I thought, "isn't it true that to succeed in life we must know which possible future we want to experience?" In short, if we want to create our dream, we first need a dream to create.

Whether our creativity is manifested in the arts, in business, politics, sports or science, are not those with power those who know what dreams they want to make real?

Does not the dream create a connection to the chosen future and provide the information, the inspiration and the motivation that keeps us going when people lacking a dream run out of steam?

I realized that the power of a goal is that it tells us how it can be achieved -- if we will but ask it the right questions.

And of course, a goal is in the future. So here was a clear example to me of how the future could be used as a source of information and power.

A 21st Century Psychology

In the course of my own personal journey I have come to realize that we are all alchemists. We all have the power to transform ordinary experiences into extraordinary lessons. We can transform our failures into sources of power. We can transform ourselves from ordinary people into people of extraordinary patience, love, wisdom and compassion.

I believe the transformation from a 17th century psychology to a 21st century psychology is an idea whose time has come.

I believe it is time for each of us to realize that we were born to be co-creators, to participate in a great river of unfolding manifestation which began before we drew our first breath and which will continue long after we are gone.

If we are to claim the power we were born with, we each need to begin by transforming our vision of ourselves. We need to see ourselves as people of power.

I eventually came to realize that the life I wanted to create was calling to me, trying to manifest itself through me, if only I had the courage to accept responsibility for living my dream.

I believe the same is true for you.

If you have a vision of a life you would like to create, I believe the power to create your dream is lying within you right now waiting to be claimed, if you will have the courage to accept it.

Can you do that?

Can you accept that you have within you the power to create your dream?

If you can, I promise you an exciting and eventful journey. The path to the future of your choice may be at times confusing, at times frustrating, perhaps even frightening. But it will never be boring.

If you will persist in the belief that you deserve to be happy, that you deserve to be fulfilled, that you deserve to experience love and fulfillment I believe you will be proven correct.

I believe that one day you will wake up -- as I did -- to realize that the life you have always wanted is the life you are living now.

No comments: